Friday, October 3, 2014

31 Days - Day 3 - Food

I have celiac disease.  This does not define me, but it is something that I must not ignore.  At home, it's easy - we are well aware of our food allergies, which are many and varied, including wheat/gluten, soy, corn and dairy.

When we go out to eat, whether it's at church for potluck or at a restaurant with friends, we have to be ever vigilant, or we end up sick, weak, and ailing for days or even weeks.

Of course, my husband doesn't have any food allergies (at least none that he admits to), so eating out with him is a test of my patience.  He always lets me order first, then says pointedly, "Now for the easy order."

The way to my man's heart is definitely through his stomach.  In the book of Familiar Quotations, I found this quote:

Food
We may live without poetry, music and art;
We may live without conscience and live without heart;
We may live without friends; we may live without books;
But civilized man can not live without cooks.
He may live without books, - what is knowledge but grieving?
He may live without hope, - what is hope but deceiving?
He may live without love, - what is passion but pining?
But where is the man that can live without dining?
~ Edward Robert Bulwer Lytton, Earl of Lytton

That made me chuckle, because unlike my husband, I'd be lost without poetry, music, art, and books.  I think I'd rather miss a meal than miss a chat with a friend.  

We were fairly strict parents when we had a bunch of little kids at home, and one of the rules we enforced was "If a man will not work, neither will he eat."  In other words, if a chore was not completely properly and on time, the person who did not get his job done had to miss the next meal.  That actually included writing assignments, which brings me to this poem:

God have mercy on the sinner
Who must write with no dinner,
  No gravy and no grub,
  No pewter and no pub,
  No belly and no bowels,
  Only consonants and vowels.

  ~John Crowe Ransom, Survey of Literature

 How about you?  Would you rather eat dinner than spend time practicing an instrument or completing an art project?  Do you have a husband like mine who equates food with love?  Are you a mom that considers an occasional missed meal a valuable training tool in bringing up a child in the way he should go?



Even when we're boating, we have to stop for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment